Roads in Cowfold village
Spronketts Lane and Wyndham Lane mark the eastern boundary of the parish in the north and south, and are likely to have been the 13th century ways to Shoreham.
Peacocks Hill Lane and Burnthouse Lane in the north and Littleworth Lane in the south end mark the western boundary.
The highway running north past the church near the centre of the parish and on to St. Leonard's Forest was mentioned in 1530, and in 1560 its upkeep between Upper Beeding and Peppersgate, apparently an entrance into the forest on the northern boundary of Cowfold, was the subject of a bequest. That may have been the king's highway beside the churchyard mentioned in 1603, the king's highway from Mock Bridge to St. Leonard's Forest and Horsham in 1635, and the road that was used by the travellers recorded in the parish registers between 1635 and 1807.
In 1724 it was carried over minor streams north and south of the village by Cotlands bridge and Bull's bridge; the western boundary lane was carried by Trenchmore bridge. Those were the only two roads in the parish marked on the 1724 county map but Wyndham Lane or another near it remained important in the late 17th century.
The other lane along the east side of the parish was Kent street Lane, indicated as the king's highway in 1598, which ran north from Kent Street in Shermanbury to Smith's Cross from where Bull's Lane led east, Sandy Lane north, and Pound Lane west. The lane to the west was part of the king's highway from Wyndham to Parkgate in 1292; it may have followed either Bull's Lane or Kent street Lane between Wyndham and Smith's Cross. Perryfield Lane was given that name by 1840.
The north-south road along the axis of the parish was turnpiked in 1771 as part of the Handcross-Henfield road, which was linked from Cornerhouse in Shermanbury with the Horsham-Steyning turnpike road and in 1830 was given a branch from Crabtree in Lower Beeding to Horsham.
Those roads were dis-turnpiked in 1877. The east-west route through Cowfold village was turnpiked in 1825 as part of the road from Cuckfield to Buck Barn in West Grinstead; previously it existed only as short stretches for local access and west of the village it was called a cross lane in 1635. The turnpike road west of Brownings replaced Trenchmore Lane as the road from the village to Burnthouse Lane, while east of Oakendene the turnpike road followed a new straight course built around 1800. It was dis-turnpiked in 1876. A bridle path northwards from the church and west of the vicarage was mentioned in 1635.