Slaugham ChurchSt Mary's Church, Slaugham is used by worshippers from the four villages of Warninglid, Handcross, Pease Pottage and Slaugham itself.
In a lovely setting surrounded by fine trees including an ancient yew, St Mary's dates mainly from the 13th century, with some substantial Victorian alterations.
The church contains several memorials to the Covert family of Slaugham Place (see below) including a fine brass of 1503 remembering John Covert and a later carved wall tomb with likenesses of his descendant Richard and his family. This dates from 1586.
These are important treasures and it's entirely appropriate that they are still in their original location rather than some distant museum or another.
Slaugham PlaceThe ruins of Slaugham Place are the second most interesting building in the village after St Mary's Church.
This moated manor house was built in the 1570s. We know what it looked like because of the survival of a drawing of the building by architect John Thorpe.
Thorpe's client was Sir Walter Covert and the place he chose for his galleried courtyard mansion is still a very beautiful spot today.
Furnace PondAs you might surmise from it's name, Furnace Pond was created to provide power to drive the Slaugham ironworks in the fifteenth century. Now the pond is popular with local anglers and bird lovers and there's hardly a hint of Slaugham's industrial past in the air.
Slaugham also has an unusual telephone box - it's white and as a consequence has a Grade II listing. Our heritage comes in a all shapes and sizes!
High Weald Landscape TrailThe High Weald Landscape Trail passs through the village of Slaugham, skirting the eastern edge of Furnace Pond before heading south towards Warninglid.
- Bognor Regis
- Burgess Hill
- East Grinstead
- Haywards Heath