The Weald and Downland Museum at Singleton
Weald and Downland MuseumPractically unique and hugely enjoyable. The Weald & Downland Open Air Museum is the new home of dozens of historic buildings which over the years have been dismantled, transported to Singleton and reassembled in preference to their destruction in their original location.
The buildings are scattered in a lovely location in the Lavant Valley and, especially on a sunny day, it's a great place to spend a few hours. The Museum has a full calendar of events throughout the year too.
The website offers a good virtual tour of the museum.
The museum is also well-known now for its wonderful Gridshell building, which was runner-up for architecture's Stirling Prize in 2002. The Gridshell is a cross between an oak barn and a giant armadillo.
See the Weald & Downland Museum website for details of how to book for special events at the museum.
You mught also likeAmberley Working Museum is an excellent Industrial Museum based in a disused chalk pit in Amberley
Where to stay near Singleton
- Recommended Singleton Hotels - good places to stay if you visit the Weald and Downland Museum
- Bed and Breakfast in Singleton, Chichester and West Sussex
- Holiday Homes in the Chichester area and the beach
- West Sussex Holiday Cottages
- Caravan Holidays in West Sussex
- Campsites near Chichester and other good places for camping in West Sussex
- Bognor Regis
- Burgess Hill
- East Grinstead
- Haywards Heath