West Lavant is pretty but tiny, containing a few houses, Lavant House School and its stables.
East Lavant is worth a visit. There’s a solid Norman church (St Mary's), some lovely houses and a good walk up Chalk Pit Lane to the top of the Trundle where you can enjoy fantastic views of the coastal plain from Littlehampton across to Southampton and the Isle of Wight as well as a spectacular vista of Goodwood Racecourse and the hills to the north around Singleton and Charlton.
The walk is about 3 km to the top of the hill. The Monarch's Way long distance footpath runs along the crest of the hill on the right of the photograph above.
The village is named after the River Lavant which flows through a beautiful, if short valley from its source near Singleton.
Most of the year the river bed is dry, with the river flowing out of sight below the surface. The river flows nearly every winter however. In 1992 the River Lavant flooded the large village green at East Lavant and went on to flood parts of eastern Chichester where the culverting which runs underneath the city centre became partially blocked.
The architect Hugh May was born at Raughmere in Lavant in 1621. He went on to become one of the foremost architects of the Restoration period in England. Although few of his buildings are still standing his work had a great influence on the rebuilding of London after the Great Fire of London, partly through his role as a Commissioners for Rebuilding the City of London and partly through his influence on his more famous Co-Commissioner, Christopher Wren.
Lavant hotels and bed and breakfast
stables and livery connected with Lavant House girls school
- Bognor Regis
- Burgess Hill
- East Grinstead
- Haywards Heath
- Kingley Vale
- St Roche's Hill
- West Dean
- West Lavant
- West Stoke