History of TangmereAlthough Tangmere history dates back to at least the seventh century when it formed part of the lands granted to St Wilfrid, the village's most memorable association is with more recent events.
Tangmere AirfieldTangmere was the most famous of several West Sussex RAF airbases used to repel the German Luftwaffe in the Battle of Britain, which was fought over the skies of southern England in 1940.
The connection between the village of Tangmere and the world war two airmen has now been further cemented by the establishment of the Tangmere Military Aviation Museum - a treasure trove of 20th century warplanes and a fitting way of keeping the brave deeds of those aviators fresh in our memories. We owe them a lot.
The former village pub (now, alas, no longer pulling pints) was named The Bader Arms as a tribute to superhuman fighter ace Sir Douglas Bader, who flew sorties from Tangmere.
Many of the roads in the newer parts of the village are named after WWII aircraft and airmen.
Growth of TangmereTangmere Airfield closed in 1970. In 1979 the government decided to start selling off some of the land at the former airfield, heralding the start of a period of growth in the village.
And it is likely that the old airfield at Tangmere will be built over with more and more housing over the next twenty years or so. Tangmere has been identified as one of the parts of West Sussex which will be expanded over the next generation.
There's already a substantial business park next to the A27 at Tangmere - City Fields - and the writing seems to be on the wall for the concept of Tangmere as a small Sussex village.
Tangmere Church St Andrew's Church in Tangmere has been here since Saxon times, although only a few fragments of Saxon building work remain.
St Andrew played an important part in the life of Tangmere in the middle ages, albeit indirectly. Since 1341 the village has been allowed to hold an annual fair on St Andrew's Day - 30th November.
Find accommodation near Tangmere
- Boxgrove Priory Ruins
- Bognor Regis
- Church Norton
- Bognor Regis
- Burgess Hill
- East Grinstead
- Haywards Heath