The village, which is somewhat spread out with plenty of desirable harbourside houses, gives its name to the easternmost of the four main channels that reach inland from the main part of the Harbour - the Birdham Channel.
The most notable feature of Birdham is the huge number of yachts moored at Chichester Yacht Basin and Birdham Pool. Even if you don't own a yacht yourself (you don't!) the yachts and the attractive harbour views make Birdham one of the more interesting places to walk around on the Manhood Peninsula - the flat expanse of land south of Chichester that pushes out into the sea at Selsey Bill.
At Chichester Yacht Basin, Chichester Canal reaches the sea and there are pleasant walks alongside the restored canal from here, all the way to the canal basin at Chichester, passing Donnington and Hunston on the way.
Birdham is also very popular with holidaymakers as it's just a few miles from the lovely sandy sweep of Bracklesham Bay and West Wittering Beach.
Spring Field in Birdham is named after bare knuckle boxer Tom Spring. In 1824 Spring won the All-England boxing championship in a brutal 70 round fight with John Langan. Spring's prize was £500 - a huge amount of money back then.
You might also like
- Information about Chichester Canal, its history and restoration and its canalside walk
- Sailing clubs in and around Chichester Harbour
- Places to moor boats in Chichester Harbour and around the Sussex coast
- Lovely Itchenor is the next village along the coast from Birdham
- Cycling along Salterns Way to Birdham from Chichester or West Wittering
- West Wittering Beach - probably the sandiest beach in West Sussex
- Good places for a seaside self-catering holiday
- Good holiday accommodation in Chichester, just 4 miles from Birdham
- The village of Sidlesham is a few miles from Birdham
- Pagham Harbour Nature Reserve is six miles away on the other side of the Manhood Peninsula
cricket clubs in Sussex in Stirlands Cricket Club Of Birdham, playing at Church Lane, Birdham, near Chichester, Sussex PO20 7SP.
West Sussex Scouts and do their thing at Scout HQ, Crooked Lane, Birdham next to the Village Hall, as well as Itchenor Camp Site, Itchenor Road, Itchenor adjacent to Itchenor Memorial Hall.
- The city of Chichester - see our guide to Chichester for details of attractions and things to do.
- Bosham village
- Donnington village
- Fishbourne village and Roman Palace
- Itchenor - another Chichester Harbour village popular with yachtsmen
- The Salterns Way
- Chichester Canal
- Chichester Harbour Guide
- Details of sailing clubs around Chichester Harbour
- Sidlesham and Highleigh
- Pagham Harbour Nature Reserve