The South Downs Way
Jack and Jill - the Clayton Windmills
Although they almost disappear from view for a short while, the South Downs Way soon turns to the north, taking you much closer to this remarkable pair of Sussex windmill landmarks.
At Clayton windmills it pays to be able to tell the difference between Jack Mill and Jill Mill.
Jack is the taller of the two lovely windmills and it is a private house.
Jill Mill is open to the public on most Sundays during the summer.
It was Jill Mill which incredibly was dragged to its present site by Oxen after being sold in 1852. Previously the mill had been located in Brighton, where it was known as Lashmar's New Mill.
Jill Mill has now been restored to full working order by the Jack and Jill Windmills Society.
There's a car park in front of the two mills and a terrific viewpoint.
If you are nearing the end of your journey and want to take the train from Hassocks station, there's a steep but very enjoyable walk down through fields to the village of Clayton. The route then continues on a footpath alongside the railway to Hassocks, where you can catch a train to Brighton or travel towards London.
Places to visit close to the South Downs WayAmberley | Arundel | Ashington | Bepton | Bignor | Bramber | Bramber Castle | Burpham | Bury | Chanctonbury Ring | Charlton | Chilgrove | Clayton | Cocking | Compton | Cootham | Devil's Dyke | The Devil's Humps | Didling | Duncton | East Dean | East Harting | Edburton | Findon | Graffham | Harting Down | Heyshott | Houghton | Hurstpierpoint | North Marden | Parham House | Poynings | Pyecombe | Rackham | Singleton | Slindon | South Harting | South Stoke | Stedham | Steyning | Storrington | Torberry Hill | Treyford | Trotton | Truleigh Hill | Uppark | Up Marden | Upwaltham | Upper Beeding | Washington | West Dean
You might also like
- The South Downs Way in Sussex step by step guide
- Places to buy walking boots and other walking equipment in Sussex
- Walking along the New Lipchis Way all the way from Liphook to Chichester
- The Downs Link from Shoreham-by-Sea to the North Downs
- Some good places for walks in West Sussex
- The Monarch's Way National Trail in West Sussex
- From Chichester to West Wittering Beach along Salterns Way
- Horse riding and equestrianism in West Sussex
- West Sussex Mountain Bike information
- Horse riding on the bridleways of West Sussex
- B&B Midhurst
- Hotels Midhurst
- B&B Chichester
- Hotels Chichester
- Hotels Petworth
- B&B Arundel
- Hotels Arundel
- B&B Worthing
- Hotels Worthing
- B&B Haywards Heath
- Hotels Burgess Hill
- Butser Hill to Harting Down
- Harting to Cocking
- Cocking to Upwaltham
- Upwaltham to Amberley
- Amberley to Washington
- Washington to Upper Beeding
- Upper Beeding to Devil's Dyke
- Devil's Dyke to Ditchling Beacon
- Devil's Dyke viewpoint
- The Devil's Dyke
- Saddlescombe Farm
- West Hill
- Newtimber Hill
- Newtimber to Pyecombe
- Pyecombe Village
- Pyecombe Church
- Pyecombe Golf Course
- Clayton Windmills
- East Sussex Border
- South Downs Way Tips
- Cycling in Sussex
- Bike repairs
- Bicycle hire
- Mountain Biking
- Sussex Walking
- The Ramblers
- Other trails
- Horse riding