The South Downs Way
Houghton Bridge and Amberley
Collectively these are some of the most important places to anyone looking to cycle or walk the South Downs Way.
They offer food, drink and transport as well as many other features of interest.
Amberley Railway Station is the only railway station to lie more or less on the route of the South Downs Way, making a it a great place to start or finish a leg of the route.
There are several places to eat and drink in the area, making the Arun crossing an ideal place to to schedule a break.
It's time to slip off those muddy boots and enjoy refreshment at The Bridge Inn or the George and Dragon at Houghton, or maybe eat at the Boathouse Brasserie.
The beautiful village of Amberley is kilometre north west of the South Downs Way, but if you have the time it's worth a detour.
The main part of Amberley village has another good pub (the Sportsman), a village shop, an interesting pottery and a castle - although Amberley Castle is now a posh hotel which is (quite reasonably) unlikely to welcome mud-covered sweaty ramblers asking for a nose around it.
Places to visit close to the South Downs WayAmberley | Arundel | Ashington | Bepton | Bignor | Bramber | Bramber Castle | Burpham | Bury | Chanctonbury Ring | Charlton | Chilgrove | Clayton | Cocking | Compton | Cootham | Devil's Dyke | The Devil's Humps | Didling | Duncton | East Dean | East Harting | Edburton | Findon | Graffham | Harting Down | Heyshott | Houghton | Hurstpierpoint | North Marden | Parham House | Poynings | Pyecombe | Rackham | Singleton | Slindon | South Harting | South Stoke | Stedham | Steyning | Storrington | Torberry Hill | Treyford | Trotton | Truleigh Hill | Uppark | Up Marden | Upwaltham | Upper Beeding | Washington | West Dean
You might also like
- Walking the South Downs Way in Sussex - a guide
- Some walking and hiking equipment shops in Sussex
- The Downs Link - a flat walk from Shoreham-by-Sea to the North Downs in Surrey
- Best places for West Sussex walkers
- New Lipchis Way - a footpath from Chichester to Liphook
- Walking the Monarch's Way in West Sussex
- A flat family-friendly walk from Chichester to the Beach along Salterns Way
- West Sussex Horse riding resources
- West Sussex Mountain Biking information
- Cycling and Horse riding on the bridleways of West Sussex
- B&B Midhurst
- Hotels Midhurst
- B&B Chichester
- Hotels Chichester
- Hotels Petworth
- B&B Arundel
- Hotels Arundel
- B&B Worthing
- Hotels Worthing
- B&B Haywards Heath
- Hotels Burgess Hill
- Butser Hill to Harting Down
- Harting to Cocking
- Cocking to Upwaltham
- Upwaltham to Amberley
- Amberley to Washington
- Houghton Bridge
- Amberley Mount
- Springhead Hill
- Sullington Hill
- Washington to Upper Beeding
- Upper Beeding to Devil's Dyke
- Devil's Dyke to Ditchling Beacon
- South Downs Way Tips
- Cycling in Sussex
- Bike repairs
- Bicycle hire
- Mountain Biking
- Sussex Walking
- The Ramblers
- Other trails
- Horse riding
- Bognor Regis
- Burgess Hill
- East Grinstead
- Haywards Heath