The South Downs Way
Nowadays walkers have to put up with the relatively dishevelled state of the copse of trees which previously crowned Chanctonbury. The terrible storm of October 1987 wreaked havoc throughout Sussex, felling many thousands of trees.
In some places the effect was beneficial, clearing out dead wood and allowing light into the woodland floor.
Chanctonbury Hill was one of the places where the effect of the hurricane's clearout was both damaging and highly noticeable.
The clump now resembles the thinning hairline of a middle aged former matinee idol.
But replanting has taken place and in time Chanctonbury's crown will thicken up again, turning it from a combover to an unruly afro.
Folklore and historyBut there's more to Chanctonbury than just trees.
It's a place of magic, where folklore and history weave themselves together to create mystery and wonder and you can read a bit more about Chanctonbury Ring here.
Places to visit close to the South Downs WayAmberley | Arundel | Ashington | Bepton | Bignor | Bramber | Bramber Castle | Burpham | Bury | Chanctonbury Ring | Charlton | Chilgrove | Clayton | Cocking | Compton | Cootham | Devil's Dyke | The Devil's Humps | Didling | Duncton | East Dean | East Harting | Edburton | Findon | Graffham | Harting Down | Heyshott | Houghton | Hurstpierpoint | North Marden | Parham House | Poynings | Pyecombe | Rackham | Singleton | Slindon | South Harting | South Stoke | Stedham | Steyning | Storrington | Torberry Hill | Treyford | Trotton | Truleigh Hill | Uppark | Up Marden | Upwaltham | Upper Beeding | Washington | West Dean
You might also like
- The South Downs Way in Sussex step by step guide
- Places to buy walking boots and other walking equipment in Sussex
- Walking along the New Lipchis Way all the way from Liphook to Chichester
- The Downs Link from Shoreham-by-Sea to the North Downs
- Some good places for walks in West Sussex
- The Monarch's Way National Trail in West Sussex
- From Chichester to West Wittering Beach along Salterns Way
- Horse riding and equestrianism in West Sussex
- West Sussex Mountain Bike information
- Horse riding on the bridleways of West Sussex
- B&B Midhurst
- Hotels Midhurst
- B&B Chichester
- Hotels Chichester
- Hotels Petworth
- B&B Arundel
- Hotels Arundel
- B&B Worthing
- Hotels Worthing
- B&B Haywards Heath
- Hotels Burgess Hill
- Butser Hill to Harting Down
- Harting to Cocking
- Cocking to Upwaltham
- Upwaltham to Amberley
- Amberley to Washington
- Washington to Upper Beeding
- Washington & the A24
- Chanctonbury Ring
- Above Wiston
- Steyning Bowl
- Annington Hill
- Upper Beeding to Devil's Dyke
- Devil's Dyke to Ditchling Beacon
- South Downs Way Tips
- Cycling in Sussex
- Bike repairs
- Bicycle hire
- Mountain Biking
- Sussex Walking
- The Ramblers
- Other trails
- Horse riding
- Bognor Regis
- Burgess Hill
- East Grinstead
- Haywards Heath