What's On in SussexWhat are the coolest places to go in West Sussex?
Top Sussex events
Twitter @SussexInfoFollow us on Twitter @SussexInfo for news about what's on in Sussex
The South Downs Way
Washington and the A24
Before you drop down into the valley you have to make a decision - there's a choice of routes.
Crossing the A24 can be a bit dicey at times. There's a central reservation which makes the crossing a little safer, but look out for fast moving traffic.
The authentic South Downs Way Route, which takes you down Highden Hill, past the woodlands of Biggen Holt and on to Parkfield Farm, may allow you to take a drink of water from the tap alongside the Way. But it may not be your cup of tea.
Happily, if you don't fancy the idea of dodging the traffic, the South Downs Way has an alternative route at Washington.
You depart from the main South Downs Way route right up on the top of Barnsfarm Hill.
From this point, 200 metres above sea level, you cut down the side of the hill and a steep slope into a small hamlet called Rowdell.
From Rowdell you continue past Home Farm Cottages to make use of the concrete bridge which crosses the A24. This enters the village of Washington right by St Mary's Church.
Once you have passed the church there is a pleasant walk of about a kilometre towards Elbourne House, where the main South Downs Way route can be rejoined.
Take a deep breath.
There's a steep climb ahead. Mysterious Chanctonbury Hill and its famous ring of trees lies dead ahead.
Places to visit close to the South Downs WayAmberley | Arundel | Ashington | Bepton | Bignor | Bramber | Bramber Castle | Burpham | Bury | Chanctonbury Ring | Charlton | Chilgrove | Clayton | Cocking | Compton | Cootham | Devil's Dyke | The Devil's Humps | Didling | Duncton | East Dean | East Harting | Edburton | Findon | Graffham | Harting Down | Heyshott | Houghton | Hurstpierpoint | North Marden | Parham House | Poynings | Pyecombe | Rackham | Singleton | Slindon | South Harting | South Stoke | Stedham | Steyning | Storrington | Torberry Hill | Treyford | Trotton | Truleigh Hill | Uppark | Up Marden | Upwaltham | Upper Beeding | Washington | West Dean
You might also like
- A guide to walking,cycling or riding along the West Sussex South Downs Way
- The best West Sussex hiking and walking boot shops
- The Downs Link - a flat walk from Shoreham-by-Sea on the Sussex coast to the North Downs in Surrey
- Tips for West Sussex walkers
- LIPCHIS Way - a long distance footpath from Chichester to Liphook
- A flat walk you can do with kids from Chichester to the Beach along Salterns Way and Chichester Harbour
- The Sussex part of the historic Monarch's Way National Trail
- West Sussex mountain bike clubs, blogs and information
- West Sussex horse riding
- West Sussex bridleways - cycling and horse riding
- B&B Midhurst
- Hotels Midhurst
- B&B Chichester
- Hotels Chichester
- Hotels Petworth
- B&B Arundel
- Hotels Arundel
- B&B Worthing
- Hotels Worthing
- B&B Haywards Heath
- Hotels Burgess Hill
- Butser Hill to Harting Down
- Harting to Cocking
- Cocking to Upwaltham
- Upwaltham to Amberley
- Amberley to Washington
- Washington to Upper Beeding
- Washington & the A24
- Chanctonbury Ring
- Above Wiston
- Steyning Bowl
- Annington Hill
- Upper Beeding to Devil's Dyke
- Devil's Dyke to Ditchling Beacon
- South Downs Way Tips
- Cycling in Sussex
- Bike repairs
- Bicycle hire
- Mountain Biking
- Sussex Walking
- The Ramblers
- Other trails
- Horse riding
- Bognor Regis
- Burgess Hill
- East Grinstead
- Haywards Heath