The South Downs Way
This is essentially a woodland section of the South Downs Way.
To the north lie the steep hangers of Heyshott Down.
To the south lies mighty Charlton Forest.
There's still plenty to reward the walker or mountain-biker up here though - not least the fact that this is one of the flattest sections of the South Downs Way and the going is relatively easy.
There's a terrific conservation project at Heyshott Down overseen by the Murray Downland Trust.
The Trust have taken a lease on a steep patch of land riddled with former chalk pits and is managing the land so that it returns to a habitat of tight downland turf - thereby encouraging downland plants, butterflies and other insects to take a more secure hold on this part of the South Downs.
A small detour across the field to the trig point on top of Heyshott Down is highly recommended. Once you are there continue along the footpath to the northern edge of the field to enjoy the spectacular view and vertiginous drop down to the valley below.
There are also several tumuli and cross dykes up on this part of the Downs - a reminder that these might once have been much busier places that they are now.
Places to visit close to the South Downs WayAmberley | Arundel | Ashington | Bepton | Bignor | Bramber | Bramber Castle | Burpham | Bury | Chanctonbury Ring | Charlton | Chilgrove | Clayton | Cocking | Compton | Cootham | Devil's Dyke | The Devil's Humps | Didling | Duncton | East Dean | East Harting | Edburton | Findon | Graffham | Harting Down | Heyshott | Houghton | Hurstpierpoint | North Marden | Parham House | Poynings | Pyecombe | Rackham | Singleton | Slindon | South Harting | South Stoke | Stedham | Steyning | Storrington | Torberry Hill | Treyford | Trotton | Truleigh Hill | Uppark | Up Marden | Upwaltham | Upper Beeding | Washington | West Dean
You might also like
- The South Downs Way in Sussex step by step guide
- Places to buy walking boots and other walking equipment in Sussex
- Walking along the New Lipchis Way all the way from Liphook to Chichester
- The Downs Link from Shoreham-by-Sea to the North Downs
- Some good places for walks in West Sussex
- The Monarch's Way National Trail in West Sussex
- From Chichester to West Wittering Beach along Salterns Way
- Horse riding and equestrianism in West Sussex
- West Sussex Mountain Bike information
- Horse riding on the bridleways of West Sussex
- B&B Midhurst
- Hotels Midhurst
- B&B Chichester
- Hotels Chichester
- Hotels Petworth
- B&B Arundel
- Hotels Arundel
- B&B Worthing
- Hotels Worthing
- B&B Haywards Heath
- Hotels Burgess Hill
- Butser Hill to Harting
- Harting to Cocking
- Cocking to Upwaltham
- Manorfarm Down
- Charlton Forest
- Graffham Down
- Crown Tegleaze
- Littleton Down
- Upwaltham to Amberley
- Amberley to Washington
- Washington to Upper Beeding
- Upper Beeding to Devil's Dyke
- Devil's Dyke to Ditchling Beacon
- South Downs Way Tips
- Cycling in Sussex
- Bike repairs
- Bicycle hire
- Mountain Biking
- Sussex Walking
- The Ramblers
- Other trails
- Horse riding
- Bognor Regis
- Burgess Hill
- East Grinstead
- Haywards Heath